Register with 911
The Autism Society of Oregon would like to see autistic individuals addressed appropropriately and successfully with emergency personnel, i.e. police, fire departments, paramedics, etc.
If you would like to enter your child into the 911 database for more appropriate handling in a situation that may take understanding from emergency personnel use some ideas below on what to consider when giving information about your child to emergency response. You can use the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) Directory to locate by county the contact person to send this form to. Click here for the directory.
When describing your child, consider the following:
- Include physical description such as height, weight, eye and hair color, any scars or other identifying marks
- Sensory, Medical or dietary issues
- Inclination for elopement and any atypical behaviors or characteristics that may attract attention
- Favorite attractions and locations where person may be found
- Likes, dislikes--approach and de-escalation techniques
- Methods of communication, if non-verbal-sign language, picture boards, written word
- ID wear-jewelry, tags on clothes, nonpermanent tattoo
- Map and address guide to nearby properties with water sources and dangerous locations highlighted