Autism Society of Oregon Autism Society of Oregon on Facebook

Oregon Chapter

Autism Support

Autism Society Support Groups in Oregon


Oregon has one of the highest rates of autism in the U.S. If you haven't already, you will meet someone with autism. People with autism want to lead fulfilling lives and make a meaningful contribution to society. Together, we can make that happen.

For Information and Resources Call
888 - Autism - 1
888 - 288 - 4761

Family Members with Autistic Loved Ones

What is the difference between Asperger's Syndrome and Autism?

Asperger syndrome is usually considered a subtype of high-functioning autism. Most of the individuals with Asperger syndrome are described as "social but awkward." That is, they want to have friends, but they do not have the social skills to begin and/or maintain a friendship. While high-functioning autistic individuals may also be "social but awkward," they are typically less interested in having friends. In addition, high-functioning autistic individuals are often delayed in developing speech/language. Those with Asperger syndrome tend not to have speech/language delays, but their speech is usually described as peculiar, such as being stilted and perseverating on unusual topics.


Are there respite care services within Oregon?

There are several organizations which are currently seeking funds to establish respite care programs. Families are advised to contact their local ARC (Association for Retarded Citizens) chapter to learn what respite services are offered.


Where can I locate service providers for my child, such as pediatricians, dentists, therapists?

The best advice we can give you is to attend a local parent support group meeting, and ask other parents which providers they use. Also, review the ASO list of Community Services.


How can I learn more about different interventions for my son/daughter?

Parent support groups, workshops, and conferences are good sources to learn about various therapies for autism.

An Oregon parent, Elizabeth Gerlach, wrote an excellent autism resource book for parents called--Autism Treatment Guide. The cost of the book is $10.00. You can order the book from Four Leaf Press, 2020 Garfield Street, Eugene, OR 97405, U.S.A. (include $1.50 for shipping within the U.S., and $3.50 outside the U.S.).


Who do I contact for crisis intervention?

For individuals under 18 years of age, contact the State Office for Services to Children and Families at: (503) 945-5909. For individuals 18 years and older, contact your local county Mental Health/Developmental Disability (MH/DD) office. The MH/DD office can provide you with the address and telephone number of the office located in your county. Their telephone number is: (503) 945-9774.


Who do I contact regarding residential facilities for children and adults?

There are several residential facilities in Oregon. Contact your county Mental Health/Developmental Disability (MH/DD) office to learn more about residential facilities. To locate the MH/DD office in your county, contact the state office at: (503) 945-9774.