Vision, Mission & Values
The Autism Society of Oregon envisions individuals and families living with autism are able to maximize their quality of life, are treated with the highest level of dignity, and live in a society in which their talents and skills are appreciated and valued.
The Autism Society of Oregon is Oregon's leading organization providing resources, education, advocacy and support for individuals and families living with autism.
ASO meets this mission through the following strategies:
- Providing accessible and relevant information that supports stakeholder ability to make informed choices
- Maintaining an authoritative body of autism informaiton and knowledge
- Supporting proactive community outreach and education
- Encouraging and fostering a strong grassroots network that is an integral part of a larger community
- Creating local connections to provide mutual support and understanding among everyone impacted by autism
- Building capacity within local communities to ensure resources are available to individuals and their families
- Providing accessible information about available resources throughout the state
- Proactively informing, influencing, guiding and developing public policy at the state and local levels in collaboration with the greater disability community
- Advocating for multi-disciplined approaches to autism research
- Advocating for inclusion, participation and self-determination in all aspects of life for individuals on the autism spectrum and their families
- Actively participating and encouraging collaboration with other disability organizations as well as other community based resources for families and individuals
- Promoting research that will improve the lives of people on the autism spectrum and their families
- Promoting understanding of autism through community partnerships, workshops, website, and other communications throughout Oregon
At all times ASO builds community in a way that is ethical, respectful, safe, inclusive and welcomes all perspectives.
ASO is the Oregon Affiliate of the Autism Society of America. We are governed independently by our own Board of Directors.
All of the funds that ASO raise remain in Oregon to help individuals and families on the autism spectrum in Oregon.